*insert banner here*
“Protect YOUth, resist Tobacco Industry”
2020 Global Media Competition on Simple and Complex Graphics on Tobacco Industry Interference
The Global Center for Good Governance in Tobacco Control (GGTC) is now accepting entries for its 2020 Global Media Competition aimed at encouraging participants from all ages, more importantly the youth, to develop and promote graphic materials that will communicate the dangers of tobacco industry interference and empower the youth to hold the industry accountable for their actions and tactics that mislead the public.
In line with the celebration of the 2020 World No Tobacco Day, submissions shall be made in accordance to the theme, “How tobacco industry manipulates the youth.”
The competition is open to all individuals who are 18 years old and above.
- To apply and submit entries, each participant must fill out the online entry form.
- Submission of entries will commence from March 25, 2020 at 12:00:00AM (BKK time) and end on April 30, 2020 at 11:59:59PM (BKK time). Winners will be announced on May 25.
Each participant may submit entries in any of the categories below:
- Simple graphics (memes, GIFs, or posters)
- Complex graphics (infographics)
- All entries must adhere to the theme. Participants will have to select one fact from the list of facts and use it as basis for the visual/graphic material he/she will produce. (Click here to see the list of facts).
Submissions in any language are welcome. However, English translation must be provided for entries created using other languages.
By submitting an entry, each participant agrees to grant GGTC the right without obligation, unless prohibited by law, to use the visual/graphic materials for any purpose determined.
- GGTC reserves the right to disqualify entries that do not fit with the mechanics set.
Graphic materials will be judged according to the following criteria:
- Relevance to the theme – The use of combined visual and text that adheres to the theme.
- Quality of the content – Use of valid and accurate information that are arranged logically to make the message or idea easy to understand.
- Insight – To what degree the graphics contains information that is not commonly known by the public.
- Creativity and originality – The use of original graphics, original editing of graphics, or design elements to convey a unique idea or message.
- Overall impact – The positive emotion evoked by the meme/GIF as influenced by its composition and presentation.
The competition will award a total of 14 winning entries under the different categories for simple and complex graphics, as shown below:
- Simple graphics (Meme, GIF & Poster)
- 1st Place: $3,000; Opportunity for the winning entry to be used, with acknowledgement, as part of Global Tobacco Industry Interference Index Report, website, exhibit, and photo release.
- 2nd Place: $2,000
- 3rd Place: $1,000
- Special prize – $1,000 (For Meme and GIF only)
- Complex graphics (Infographics)
- 1st Place: $5,000; Opportunity for the winning entry to be used, with acknowledgement, as part of Global Tobacco Industry Interference Index Report, website, exhibit, and photo release; A chance to attend APACT, a bi-annual event attended by over 10001 public health professionals from the Asia Pacific region (all-expenses paid).
- 2nd Place: $3,000
- 3rd Place: $2,000
*insert spread the word image here*
*insert logos here*
More than 1,000 tobacco control scientists and activists met in Bali to participate in biennial meetings named the 12th Asia Pacific Conference on Tobacco or Health (APACT 12th) from 13-15 September 2018, hosted by the National Committee on Tobacco Control (Indonesia).
*insert footer here*